Sunday, May 24, 2009

Slowly Getting Started

I’m starting to get better with this whole blogging thing. Now, technology isn’t exactly intimidating for me. My career has had plenty of technology work, to be sure. This blog was, by far, the easiest to set up. My Movable Type installation, was a lot more challenging, but much more interesting. I’ve been learning how to set it up and administer it, add blogs, users, plugins, and templates. It got really cool when I started to customize the templates to make them do what I want them to do.

My biggest success was with my dad’s web site sabatinoconsulting.com. I customized a stock template and layout, even added some conditional logic to make it work more like a web page and less like a blog. Now, certain postings can stay on the home page as static articles, while timely articles list below that as usual with a blog. It’s a nice hybrid.

The Joomla installation I use on my web site humancatalyst.com has also been quite a learning experience. I had started that site with Mambo and then moved to Joomla 1.0.x. The jump to 1.5 required me to start over completely.

When I left my technology career six years ago, I was tired of it. Now, it’s much more fun. PHP, Ruby on Rails, and that sort of thing is still a bit intimidating. But, learning Movable Type and Joomla has been interesting and rewarding. I’m starting to see possibilities for combining my education in communication (training/development, corporate communication, and interpersonal communication) with knowledge of these platforms as well as some other software tools to increase my offerings to the companies I work with. One stop for communication strategy and communication technology.

For now, that’s daydreaming. The important thing is to get my websites off the ground, attract readers, and enjoy blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment